1. What is SCDogs Therapy Group,
We are an all volunteer organization that tests, registers and regulates therapy dogs and their handlers for the purpose of providing quality visits to nursing home, hospitals, children's groups, and other organizations that require the services of therapy animals.
2. When was SCDogs established?
SCDogs Therapy Group, Inc. was founded in 2000 by Michelle Jenkins Missel in Clemson, SC.
3. Where does SCDogs Therapy Group, Inc. volunteer or visit?
We visit at local nursing homes, hospitals, children camps, elementary schools, women's shelters, parades and more.
4. What are the health requirements?
Your animal is required to have annual vaccinations documented by a licensed veterinarian.
5. Does my pet have to be a pure bred animal?
No. All breeds are accepted and registered as long as they pass the required testing and stay current on their visits. Dogs without pedigrees, rescued and adopted animals are all eligible.
6. How old does my pet have to be?
Pets must be 6 months old. A rescue pet has to have been with the current owner for a minimum of 6 months.
7. Does SCDogs Therapy Group, Inc. provide me with the animals to visit with?
8. What kind of skills does my pet have to have in order to be tested?
Your pet should have basic obedience skills. They need to know basic skills such as: heel, sit, stay, down, come, leave it. He/she must be animal, people and child friendly as well as comfortable around hospital equipment and sudden noises.
9. How many visits will I have to do?
In order to remain active, you and your pet will need to participate in at least one (1) visit every four (4) months.
10. How much will it cost me to participate in SCDogs Therapy Group, Inc.?
One time evaluation fee = $ 20.00
Annual Membership Fee = $ 25.00
Gas to go to various visits
Optional Expenses = Therapy Animal Vest $30-$50 depends on size needed
Car Magnet = $5.00
SCDogs Therapy Group, Inc. T-shirt = $15.00
Bandanas = $10.00
11. How is SCDogs Therapy Group, Inc. funded?
SCDogs Therapy Group, Inc. is a non-profit organization supported through annual membership dues and various group fund raisers.